Community-based Support Services
There are a number of transportation services and benefits for seniors, family caregivers and others needing assistance. For example:
- BC Transit offers discount fares for seniors (Gold Care Card is required for identification).
- BC Ferries offers free service for seniors on certain days. (Gold Care Card is required for identification).
- Taxi Saver Program is operated by BC Transit for people with disabilities. This program allows passengers to use coupons for taxi travel by booking directly with a participating taxi company without having to pre- plan a trip. Taxi coupons are sold by BC Transit. To be eligible a person must be registered with HandiDart. See below.
- HandiDART is a special door- to-door transportation for eligible people with disabilities, seniors (and accompanying caregivers) who cannot use regular public transit. Specially equipped vehicles are used. (You must be registered with HandiDART before you can use the service; to register, you must complete an application form). In some regions, specially equipped taxis are available that can accommodate HandiDART users when HandiDART is not available. In the Capital Region, the following services provide non-emergency transportation for those who are wheelchair- bound:
- Pacific Companion Service (250) 652-0400
- Medi-Van (250) 389-0948
To find out whether specially equipped taxis are available in your community, look in your local Yellow Pages under Taxicabs or Wheelchair and Disabled Transportation.
In the BC Capital Region, the Seniors’ Services Directory provides information on airlines, buses, parking permits for drivers with disabilities, wheelchair accessible cabs, and volunteer drivers/services.
For more information on public transportation and HandiDART, contact BC Transit by phone/TTY (in the Yellow Pages under Bus lines), or via the internet: www.transitbc.com.