Resource Guide for Family Caregivers
Supportive living and/or residential care assessments

As of April 2002 the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) changed its policy regarding access to residential care facilities (see Section 10 for more details). Now, only people with an urgent need for 24-hour residential care will be considered for placement in VIHA long-term care facilities. A person must undergo a standardized assessment to be deemed eligible for either residential care or supportive living/housing. This assessment will include:

  • a standardized health and functional(i.e., ADL and IADL) assessment, including mental and behavioural factors.
  • an assessment of client and caregiver risk (i.e., the kinds of factors that would be considered as part of Central Intake’s initial screening, discussed in Section 9).
  • an assessment of the family caregiver’s well-being and ability to continue to provide care and support.
  • a review of service use by the person receiving care and/or the caregiver.
  • a determination that available community resources cannot meet the person’s need or provide adequate caregiver support.

The residential care assessment is generally performed by a Long Term Care (LTC) Case Manager. Family caregivers should actively participate in the assessment, if possible. After the residential care assessment has been completed, the LTC Case Manager will be back in touch to discuss the care receiver’s eligibility for either subsidized residential care or for supportive living housing, and/or community- based alternatives.

A person may self-refer to have him/herself assessed, or a family member or health care provider may make the call on a person’s behalf.

To call to make a referral for a residential care assessment, in the BC Capital Region the phone number for the General Enquiries Line is: (250) 388-2273.  Outside the Capital Region, there is a toll-free number: 1-888-533-2273.