Resource Guide for Family Caregivers
How do I access palliative care?

As noted above, Victoria has a Hospice Society that provides palliative and hospice care. However, not all communities offer this service, so you will need to check local resources to find out what your community offers. The important thing to remember is that the concept of palliation extends beyond a hospice type of service and can exist in any setting where care might be needed — in the home, in a hospice palliative care unit, in an acute care hospital or in a long-term care facility.

You can access palliative care in a number of ways:

  • by calling Victoria Hospice (250-370-8715) if you are living in the Greater Victoria area
  • through your family physician
  • through a home care nurse
  • by calling Central Intake for community services (250-388-2273).

Note: some Long-term care facilities offer palliative care; it is worth asking.